I worked so hard to remember EVERYTHING for our camping trip this weekend. I even saw the camera on my last minute dash out the door! So when my Dad was baffling over why His camera couldn't take really rich colored pictures. I immediately grabbed my camera to show him how superior my camera was! Until I realized that a battery that is still in it's charger, back HOME, makes an expensive camera basically a pile of plastic, lenses, and wires...
Oh well.
So we went camping this weekend. It almost didn't happen. I had procrastinated so long in making camping reservations that it ceased to be procrastination and was pure didn't-get-it-done. My brother and parents took over and found (shock of all shock) that the state campgrounds were all full. But they did find a quaint little campground over in picturesque Northeastern Iowa that suited us all just fine.
Did I mention that it's 4 hours away for us?
4 hours usually isn't such a big deal for us. Yes, it's on the long side, but definitely do-able. Mike and I did decide that since we were traveling that far we were going to leave a night early and make a 3-day weekend out of it.
Did I mention that it was 4 hours away?
It was a little hectic leaving 24 hrs early. A days worth of chores had to get squished into just a couple hours. So when we left, in our expensive yet non air-conditioned car, it was much later than we had expected. And we ended up in rush hour traffic. Not that we stayed long in the traffic. 1 hour screamed by and before we were even out of suburbia we had to stop for supper.
McDonalds dollar menu style...
McDonald's dollar menu make me nauseated. We'll really anything from McDonald's make me nauseated. And right now, being pregnant... We'll I'm sure you get the idea.
After our meal we got back into rush hour traffic and spent the next 5 hours on the road. With no air-conditioning, a screaming 19 mo. old, darkness quickly approaching, and only a vague idea of where we were actually going.
After stopping for gas a second time, we did finally reach the campground. (I felt like the Isrealites after wandering in the desert for 40 years.) at exactly 10:10pm. Of course it was pitch black and way past even my own bedtime. That's a GREAT time to set up camp in those conditions.
It's those times in my life where I'm thankful I'm not the man.
My husband unhitched our travel trailer, leveled it, put the stabilizer jacks down, hooked up sewer, water, and electricity, assembled our beds (they are canvas bunks on the side of our travel trailer) laid out the mats, opened the awnings and set up the Pack 'n Play. All this while my Dad held a flashlight for him so he could see.
And I sat in my parents camper, chatting with my Mom.
I do have a part in setting up the camper too. I make the beds. :) Eventually we did get everyone and ourselves to bed about an hour later. For a bad start it was a great camping trip. We hiked, fished, played catch, checkers, and even had a birthday party for the 6 people there who had recently had a birthday.
You should've heard that rendition of "Happy Birthday."
But were back home now. The trip home wasn't nearly as eventful and we made it in the 4 hrs. it was supposed to take.
It would've been great to show you all this in picture form. But again. A camera is nothing with out it's battery. I'll remember it next time. (But what else will I forget?!?!)
No comments:
Post a Comment