Friday, February 12, 2010

He's Golden

We recently celebrated John's 6th birthday!

I have come to love this February birthday time. When he was born I was a little hesitant about his day being so close to Christmas, and granted, people are sometimes a little "familied out" by the time his birthday rolls around. But I am finding it a great distraction in the middle of the great winter yawn.

I also completely enjoy that my family makes the trek up for his birthday almost every year. (there is usually a motorcycle show that is going on on the same weekend to entice them as well...) It's one of the few times during the year where there aren't vacations and/ or hunting trips to compete with.

I tell ya, it's a great time of year to have a party.

The day started out with pancakes. John's favorite breakfast. Then the guys decided it was time to hit the motorcycle show, to which John decided that he did NOT want to go to. Crazy kid. But it was his birthday, so O.k.

We tried something a little different this birthday. We let him open up the gifts through out the day instead of keeping them all till the party. Which I am really starting to like that tradition. That way they are enjoying each present instead of being overwhelmed at once. Plus, then the whole day is special instead of just the end.

We had a Taco bar for supper and I pulled myself together and made a birthday cake. I guess I'm becoming some-what famous for all my birthday cakes. My neice had been peppering her Mom with question all day about what it was going to be this year. :) Caleb especially enjoyed the cake. He needed a sink bath after that escapade. Fun was had by all.

Oh, and we did manage to infect a lot of people with the cold that had been going around our house. Sorry to everyone who is suffering at this point... They are just little germ factories I tell ya. :)

1 comment:

pawolfe said...

Wonderful cake Julia!! Wow! Love that "golden boy"!