Thursday, September 4, 2008

School days!

I've had some questions about how school is coming so far and what are school room is looking like this year. So I took some pictures during school this morning.

Notice everyone in long sleeves! Literally, the clock struck 12 midnight on August 31st and the warm weather was gone. We haven't even reached 70's this week. I think yesterday's high was 68. The kids were excited to break out there new winter clothes though. If only the realized how long they are going to be in them.


Here is Sofie copying part of our poem for the week. This week we are focusing on "Daybreak" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. We also have a Bible verse for the week, which is written on the chalkboard in the background. Notice Sofie's hair, She really wants to do her own hair and there's so many pretty barrettes, it's hard to choose just one...
We were given this dry erase book that has the upper and lower case letters to trace. It also has the strokes numbered so the child knows which line to write first. John LOVES this book.
Lilia is my Playdoh queen. If only she were strong enough to PUSH the Playdoh through the extruder's... She's also my marker queen. As you can see by her skin, she had just gotten done with those.
This is our school room, it had been Mike's office, so we have his diploma's etc. still hung up on the wall. Which I actually think is quite fitting. The rocker is an all important part. That way pregnant Momma can be comfortable while we do our read-alouds.
This is the piece-de-resistance of our school days. The table. We are not to love in-animate object, but I come pretty close with this beauty. It was a gracious and generous gift from Mike's parents. And I love it. It has taken my discombobulated school day and turned it into a well-oiled machine. (Ok I might be taking it a little too far :) ) No more Lilia wanting to be in the middle of everything, because now she can be! And I can give everyone equal attention without scooching (sp?) around the room and stabbing myself with a pencil in my toe... I am enamored with all 6ft+ length of table glory.
The Library. No this isn't ALL homeschooling books. (We're only in 1st grade!) Only the far right bookcase has the school supplies, books, and general manipulative's. We still have more books throughout the house though, and will be purchasing another bookcase shortly...

No comments: